As a survivor you have legal rights and options for protection.
If you need help with getting a protection order, or support with divorce and child custody, immigration, or criminal law cases, the first step is to call our 24-hour Helpline. Then, our Legal Advocate will follow up with you to schedule a meeting as soon as possible.
There is no charge for our services, and we tailor our advocacy to meet your needs. Our services are confidential and include:
- Information about legal protections available to you
- Information about how various legal systems work and what to expect
- Help with filling out forms for protection orders
- Help with planning for your safety if you are going to court or using other legal options
- Access to Family Law and Protection Order Legal Clinics
- Attending court with you as a support person, schedules permitting
- Referrals to attorneys and legal assistance organizations for advice and representation
Please note that our Legal Advocates are not able to provide legal advice or representation. Please consult an attorney for those services.
Are you dealing with divorce, child custody, parenting plan or protection order issues? For a brief consultation with a lawyer at no charge, New Beginnings coordinates a weekly Domestic Violence Family Law Clinic in partnership with the King County Bar Association, and a monthly Domestic Violence Protection Order Clinic in partnership with volunteer attorneys. Contact our 24-hour Helpline to learn how you can get legal advocacy support and meet with a lawyer.